Happy Monday family and friends. Here’s your weekly news for January 31-February 06.
1. Where are we?
At every belt level, students must work their way to achieving their goals in Taekwondo class. Our dojang uses a reward system to communicate to our students that “hard work pays off!” On their belt, students are capable of earning stripes by working in the class. Each side of the belt represents a general aspect of Taekwondo.
White Cycle – Students will be rewarded with this stripe once they have learnt their belt level “Poomse” (or pattern). As students progress with belts, their poomse will become more advanced, challenging them with new stances, blocks, and kicking techniques. Attending classes these next few weeks will help the student achieve this stripe. During the first few weeks we will spend time breaking down motions and movements. Then we will move on to completing and memorizing our patter. Then finally, we will work on “testing” for our white stripe.
Parents, if you want to know what is needed to assist at home just let me know. Make sure you bring your belt to class. If you are missing your stripes you should come see me sooner than later. We will be covering your forms for testing all week.
Remember: stripes, as well as belts, are earned through hard work and effort. Therefore, they can be lost by lack of effort and/or disobedient behavior. Students are responsible for their progression and held accountable. Every day they make a promise to have respect, give their best effort, and have courtesy. I hold them to that promise.
2. When are we testing?
Our next cycle test is scheduled for Friday, March 26, 2021. Candidates and schedules will be posted when we get closer to testing.
Please note, we have made some adjustments to our testing procedures. We will still continue with our testing cycles, however we will hold testing at the end of each month for those students that need to retest, make up, move ahead, new students, etc… Testing will be held on Fridays. There will not be regular classes on test dates. The next date for this will be February 26, 2021.
Here are the testing dates for 2021 (dates are subject to change):
3. School Closure Dates:
Feb 20th – Comp Team practice in Katy
Feb 26th – There are no regular classes on test dates
Apr 10th – Tournament in Houston
Mar 26th – Belt Testing
There will be a modified class schedule for Spring Break in March 15-19
July 4-10 AAU Nationals (details to follow)
July 28- Aug 7 AAU Junior Olympics (details to follow)
4. School Schedule
There was a change to our Saturday classes two weeks ago! If you need a copy of the class schedule, you can get it HERE.
5. COVID Precautions
As we return for the holidays, I want to bring everyone up to speed on what we plan to do to ensure that everyone is safe. Listed HERE are some guidelines for everyone. Remember, we all play a part in these protocols.
In addition, you can help with the fight with a few simple tips.
- Children 10 and older, teens and adults are strongly encouraged to follow the guidelines given by the county to wear mask.
- Check your Child’s temperature prior to class. If your child presents with a high temperature / fever, cough, flu like symptoms please keep your child safe at home, and contact a physician.
- If your child has had any COVID-19 symptoms, has tested positive for COVID-19, or has had close contact (within 6 feet for more than 15 minutes) with a confirmed COVID-19 positive individual in the last 10 days, he/she should not return to school on this week.
- Bring bottled water for your child. The water fountains will not be available, to prevent germ spread until further notice.
- In addition, if you take your symptomatic student to get a COVID test, he/she should not return to school until negative test results are received.
- We want to keep the waiting area clear. There will not be any chairs available, I ask parents and siblings to not sit in the waiting area. Again we want to keep our head count to a minimum.
This will only be a temporary precaution as we return from the holidays. As before I will have hand sanitizer readily available and will gladly give you a shot when needed.
Please take a look at our guidelines.
6. Competition Team
Tournaments are coming back!! Region 9 Tournament will be April 10th, here in Houston. We will be having some joint practices and fellow students come to us to help us prepare on Saturdays.
Feb 6th – We will be having sparring practice at our Housont location at 12pm
Feb 20th – We will be having a rumble in Katy at Rock Solid TKD
Apr 10th – Region 9 tournament in Houston
July 4-10 AAU Nationals in Las Vegas, NV
July 28- Aug 7 AAU Junior Olympics in Houston, TX
It’s going to be a great week, see you all at the school!